Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride

27 Apr

Even though that Magic Kingdom ride included the word wild in the title, we still didn’t clue in.  So off we went… me in my prego state, my husband and our not quite three-year-old son.  Dude.  It twisted and turned and truly was a much wilder ride than we expected.  And that’s the ride I seemed to be on today, a day that included four– count ’em — trips to the shop, two trips to an estate sale, a trip across town to pick up from the Craigslister and a junk haul for a friend of mine whose car is entirely too small for her day’s booty o’ junk.  Oh, I also managed to pick up the boys from school.  And did I mention it actually rained today?  The one day it rains, I decide to move furniture.  Go figure.

The new shop space is shaping up nicely, I think.  I covered the blue carpet with my signature oilcloth today, so it’s starting to feel like home.  I also draped some cheeseclothish fabric over the rafters to soften things up a bit.  I can’t decide if it looks soothing or if it looks a bit Halloweenish.  We’ll see how it goes. 

The estate sale this morning was a small gold mind.  A junking friend met me there.  I was off to a good start when they offered me a Krispy Kreme donut, which I devoured instantly — after washing all the vintage off my hands, of course.  You never know where those Swine flu germs might be lurking.  My big buys today included an old iron patio set, an iron table that needs a top, a vintage chandelier, and the coolest and most complete set of dishes from the 50s.  Those dishes were calling my name, and I was completely sold when I learned that the set included salt and pepper shakers, a covered butter dish, sugar and creamer, two serving bowls and a big platter. 

I had to make my second trip to the shop to drop off my friend’s ladder, wheelbarrow and butcher block before heading east to meet the Craigslister.

One time I bought something from Craigslist, and met this man at a gate on a back road in the middle of who-knows-where.  He said I needed to follow him down a dirt road to get to his place.  Once we were inside the gate, he stopped and locked the gate behind us.  Hmmm.  That’s when I first realized that I can’t go off by myself to meet strangers without taking some precautions.  So I called a friend and told her where I had gone, just in case I came up missing.  Turned out the man was a gem.  And the buy was worth the few minutes of unfounded stress I put myself through.  Today the meeting was in the rain at a warehouse in a business park.  I went it alone.  His voice was very nice on the phone.  No red flags.  My instinct was correct.  He was there waiting for me, and  was as strong as he was nice, man-handling that bench right into the back of the minivan without a problem.  Then I ran into him later at the convenience store across the street.  He was buying gas.  I was buying funyuns and a coke — the lunch of champion junkers.  Then we ended up next to each other at a light.  When I looked over, he rolled his window down.  Okay.  That seemed a bit strange.  I just waved and looked ahead, wondering what more we could possibly have to say and why he would want to stalk me in my vintage state.  Turns out I was in the wrong lane and needed over quickly to get onto the highway.  That’s all he wanted:  to let me cut in front of him.  What a nice guy.  Note to self:  must keep paranoia in check.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch … I got that bench unloaded, wiped down and straight into the new space, covered it with pillows and was off to pick up my table and two chairs from the estate sale before fetching child number 1.  Mission accomplished.  Back to the shop one last time to drop off table and chairs. 

Things are really starting to shape up.  Tomorrow I’ll head back to the estate sale for a final time to pick up the rest of today’s haul.

Tonight’s been a mixture of buying the wrong size light bulbs for my chandeliers and then replacing them with the right size, but in retina-burning wattage.  Tomorrow’s a new day, right?  It’ll feel something like that Groundhog Daymovie, where they keep reliving the same day over and over.  Stepping in the same mud puddle.  Running into the same annoying acquaintances.   It’ll be all that and more.  So I ended my day on a pretty note, redesigning our sales tag, with a little altered photo:


The queen hath spoken…’tis bedtime.  May all your dreams — and mine —  come true…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: