1. raindrops on roses
2. whiskers on kittens
Okay… I can’t list among my favorites “bright copper kettles” because I’m more of a matte-finished girl — though I do prefer copper to, say, brass.
At Homestead, I’m among a group of women that share a space together called “My Favorite Things.” Unfortunately, it really has become kind of a dumping ground for things that don’t quite fit in our own spaces. So we’ll be getting together on Saturday to install a little “Christmas in August” corner, and the rest of the space will feature some markdowns for a couple of weeks before we undertake a major overhaul. Just like a lot of things … it might get worse before it gets better. When we started the booth, all of us were going to put together lists of our favorite things to rotate on a little message board. Like the rule follower I am, I did my list. No one else ever did. But the message board sold quickly anyway — or maybe someone took it home after my favorites tired them out. Whatever… I do have MANY favorite things. I have so many, in fact, that I can’t even remember what I included on my list. But here’s a randomized list of things I always enjoy:
1. Chandeliers — especially the ones with lots of old crystals. But I do love the $40 Target special that hangs over one of my showers.
2. Graphics — I have old gas station numbers lining my hallway. I have at least seven Rodney White prints. I have a huge “K & B,” originally from a Ben Franklin store, hanging on the wall of my bedroom, which is also home to part of an old peely fabric gameboard that has the most beautiful numbers on it. I have a big ol’ restaurant menu in my kitchen. Letters, numbers…love them all. And I ALWAYS have scrabble letters for sale in my space … and usually a bingo card or three.
3. Dress forms — the shabbier the better
4. Doll heads and other parts — I put a bunch of bisque heads in a Halloween display last year that really rocked. The heads I have now — I think there’s only one left — are composite baby doll heads, mostly peely and from the 1920s. They don’t really creep me out, so I decided they didn’t need to wait till Halloween to make an appearance.
5. Empty frames — great with a hat hung in the middle, or stacked together — especially in front of mirrors, which brings me to:
6. Mirrors — framed, beveled, hand mirrors — I love them all. I sell the heck out of celluloid hand mirrors in Llano. But my hands-down favorite are the silver hand mirrors with monograms… leading me to:
7. Monograms — on silver baby cups, old loving cups, hankies, pillow cases, suitcases…and speaking of suitcases…
8. Suitcases — I always try to have a stack on hand. I really like train cases, and I’ll include hat boxes in this category just because I can. I like metal trunks with the lift-out drawers, too. My favorite suitcases ever were a set of salesman cases. Black. Yummm.
10. Pearls — especially fake glass pearls. Multi-strand if possible, please.
I could go on and on for days, probably. And I’m leaving out a host of things, such as architectural pieces. I’d love to know what you love. Do we have anything in common? I’m betting yes.
My eyelids are heavy, but my heart is light, as I’m hoping to find some of my favorite things on a junket tomorrow…